Friday, June 14, 2013

Hair Talk With Tyrone

Image: Eulanda Shead for Jane Carter 360 Event

Firstly introduce yourself? Where are you from and what do you do?
I'm Tyrone from London and I work on the transport network in the city

How long have you been natural?
I went natural in 2007



If you have transitioned to natural hair what prompted your move from processed to natural?
I went natural because I did a curly permanence and my hair became severely over processed and stringy

How did you transition, did you big chop?
I did a big chop.

What does having natural hair mean to you?
I still fight sometimes to stay natural but on the most part I prefer not to worry about my next touch up or burning my scalp.

What are your earliest hair memories? How did these memories influence your hair journey today?
first hair memories were of pain whilst getting my hair plaited, Afro pick breaking and hair grease. Now I very rarely use combs and only I do my hair and I take as long as I need to take to do it.

What are your go to products? 
my go to products Are: Water, rosewater glycerine, almond oil, Tresemme Naturals and (silicon Mix Bambu) Dominican products



What is you hair regimen? 
prepoo, light detangle then 6-8 braids then shampoo then deep condition then leave-in and oil then twist or braid again and air dry over night.

What are your go to styles? 
go to styles Are flat Twist-out or stretched braid out.

How do you protect your hair in the winter months?
I protect on an as and when needed basis ie when I'm in a lazy moment just protect till I want to experiment again.



What hair styles will you wear this summer?
this summer ill be rocking various twists, singles or flat Twists

what is your biggest hair fail?
worst fail was when I did a bantu knot out on wet hair. Was a tangled Nightmare. LOL


What is it like being one of very few men natural hair Vloggers?
sometimes it does feel like I am the only male in the UK blogging on natural hair but I get used to to intros to others videos like "Hey ladies" etc.. There Are many guys too but just not putting themselves out their like women. The USA has more natural males than the UK.

Why do you think men are reluctant to grow out their natural hair?
Men don't grow their hair long because the Majority believe its feminine or to focus their time on all the styling they just haven't got time/patients for that.

Do you have any advice for women or men starting out on their natural hair journey?
new naturals can start by buying a satin bonnet for bed then try to start using natural hair products. Shampoo and conditioner 1-2 times a week. Lots of protective styling and reduce heat usage to a minimum. Try to start air drying the hair

Check out Tyrone's YouTube Channel here

No comments:

Post a Comment